Current Project: Practically Dead
Current Streak: 1 day
Days writing record: 6 days

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Like the poet needs the pain...

This past month I have truly learnt the full meaning of that line.

For those of you that aren't Bon Jovi fans, that line is from his song In These Arms which is one of my favourite songs of all time...especially when I'm in a happy, loving relationship.

Being a writer and a poet, I have found that I can't write stories unless I'm happy or not really distracted, and recently I've found that I can't write poetry unless I have experienced hardship to draw on.

Now I've experienced quite a lot of hardship of the years, some stuff I wouldn't wish on anyone, ever, and I have always been able to draw on those experiences to fuel my poetry.

Of late I have been so happy, that my poems have been awful. I have even been spitting out free-verse...which as you guys know, I don't like to do.

Well as expected in life, if the going is too easy...its about to get tough...and boy has it.

There is nothing good about the current family situation, one of us is about to leave this life and I can't even be happy about the fact that my poetry has returned in full form.

But today that one line, "like the poet needs the pain" rang true for me, and I understood the full meaning of needing the pain, because if there is no pain, there is no poetry.

Poetry is my release for my pain, and I thank God for giving me a release of sorts so that I can keep going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment